A Romantic Villa Rich in History
The Italian Renaissance architecture of Villa Lancellotti in Frascati, Italy dating from 1592 was the inspiration for the Nester Villa, built in 1910 in Geneva, New York.
Lewis Colt Albro
Harrie T. Lindeberg
The original NESTER ESTATE is architecturally significant as the work of two important early twentieth century architects of country residences. Both architect’s early training was with McKim, Mead and White; Albro from 1895 to 1904, Lindeberg until 1906 when they established a firm of their own which gained a reputation for the design of fine homes such as the Nester Villa. The use of marble fireplaces which appear to have been removed from Italian buildings as well as the coffered ceilings and handsomely paneled formal rooms reflect the influence of Stanford White on both architects. The design of the symmetrical gardens on an axis with the villa was the work of the Rochester firm of Pitkin and Weinrichter and shows a close collaboration between the architects and landscape designers.
Nester Estate built 1910
future home of Geneva On The Lake
circa late 1930’s
The Monastery Years 1949 – 1974
The Franciscan Capuchins acquired the estate. In 1949 the monks added the South wing as a chapel and classrooms and the north wing as a dormitory and dining room.
The Vacant Years 1974 – 1979
After the monks left, the estate’s buildings and grounds fell into disrepair.
The Renovation Years 1979 – 1981
There were two major aims in the conception of the 1980 renovation. First to preserve in every way possible the finest in the architectural form and decorative elements of the original villa. And second, to use these old forms in a new design to create the most modern, comfortable and attractive resort for today’s guest.
Geneva On The Lake – Designers of the Renovation 1979 – 80
Schickel Design & Devel. Co., Loveland Oh. & Ithaca, N.Y.
Peacock, Garn & Partners, Cincinnati, Ohio
Bentley, Meisner Associates, Cincinnati, Ohio
The design conception for the renovation of GENEVA ON THE LAKE is the work of William Schickel, the principal designer of SCHICKEL. Mr. Schickel is a nationally recognized designer, responsible for a body of important work throughout the U.S., including: residences, commercial buildings, churches, renovation designs for noted historic structures, major commissions of stained glass works, urban design and condominium developments, paintings, sculptures, artifacts, furniture designs and interiors.
He has received a Gold Medal and National Honor Award for the renovation of the 100 year old Trappist Abbey at Gethsemani, Kentucky, the National Design Review Award for five years, has exhibited stained glass & designed objects in major museums, including The Smithsonian and Brooklyn Museums, and is published in Architectural Forum, Architectural Record and The New York Times Magazine. The architects were Peacock, Garn and Partners; and the landscape architects, Bentley, Meisner Associates.
Elegant Small Resort Opens 1981
With renovation complete Geneva On The Lake opens to guests on Thanksgiving Day 1981.